Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sorry I have not posted anything for a few days. I was at the Presbyterian Global Fellowship last week and had a terrific time learning and gathering with other Presbyterians on the issues of serving Christ. I will admit that I did learn a lot even through the temptation to leave and just take in the sights of Southern California. But, I resisted the temptation and went to all the gatherings. I also never really adjusted to Pacific time. It was nice when I got home, but while there I saw times of the day I did not know existed.

What did I take away from the conference? This is the question I have been asking myself since the last moments on Saturday. Right now I can commit fully to 2 things that I feel God wanted me to learn at this years conference. The first is probably the most important. It is not about me, but about God. I have been hit square in the face with a reality of my own failing. I have kept asking what do I need to do, what do I need to accomplish? I have not asked, what is God doing? What is God accomplishing? This is the most important part of all the Christian life. It is no longer I who lives, but Christ in me (see Galatians 2:20). I am working to change all my questions from me to Him.

The second lesson that hit me very hard is to slow down. I have had reasons in the recent past to tell me to slow down, but I do not seem to be listening to them very well. I was remind again through out the conference to slow down and listen to God. This may very well be part of the first lesson, but I have continued to be shown Christ's need to slow down and connect with the Father. I guess if it is important for the Savior, it should be important to me. So, I will seek God's help and direction as I serve him.

These are some of the initial thoughts on a terrific conference. I will write a little more on what has impacted me most in the next few days.

2 comments:

Reyes-Chow said...

Thanks for the reflection. I just linked it to my own post. http://www.mod.reyes-chow.com/2008/08/road-notes-pres.html

Steve Hayner said...

Great thoughts, Matt, with wide application to most of us. I really enjoyed meeting you at the conference.