Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What was in the Sneeze?

I have continued to reflect on the Presbyterian Global Fellowship Conference, Inside Out that I attend in Long Beach the other week. Another item that caught me off guard at the conference and from reading Alan Hirsch, The Forgotten Ways was the idea of the sneeze factor. Alan presents and idea that the Gospel of the early church was easily reproduced and sent on, like the germs in a sneeze. This is a strange concept, but I like the idea of a simple gospel message. Since then, I have been thinking about the content of the sneeze.

I got a little idea this past Sunday. I spoke on Matthew 16:13-20. This was the great question of Jesus to the disciples about what other people thought about Him and what the disciples thought about Him. It was in this section that we have the great confession of Peter as to the reality of Jesus, “you are the Christ”(Mathew 16:16). This confession I believe is the sneeze. For Jesus told Peter that on that information the whole church would be built.

This was not easy confession for Peter to make. This was a loaded word for Jesus’ time. In this confession, Peter would betray all the leaders of the Synagogue and Temple. Peter was making the most profound statement, Jesus is God. Based on this profound statement, the church would grow into a world wide force.

I do believe this is the sneeze. This was the little piece of information that could be reproduced into the people and spread like wildfire. Also, as Jesus told Peter, this was the piece that no one could just make up. It was information that could only come from the Spirit of God. Again, I am learning that it is all about Him and not me. I hope I can carry this simple message and pass it and the power it holds to others.

No comments: