Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Stewardship

During November, I spend my Sunday sermon time on stewardship. Now most other pastors are probably doing the same thing or they just finished a series on Stewardship. It seems like the church year likes to point out near the end of the calendar year that you need to give the church money. We also push the idea that we want you tell us what you are going to give next year. I find this a little humorous since all of society is telling you right now is the best time to spend for Christmas. Sounds like we started that train long before any other store.

I have been told I should focus on stewardship throughout the year and preach sermons regularly on the topic in the year. I was taught at seminars that we need to keep people reminded of the responsibility of stewardship every month, not just during the campaign. The last thing I am always reminded as I read through the Bible, Jesus talked about money more than anything else (well maybe love you neighbor is more) in His teaching. Yet, I don’t talk about money.
In my sermons I like to stress how time and talents are just as important a gift to the church and to God as the cash we drop in the plate. Rarely will I call out people to give till it hearts. I will give people opportunities to give extra. But, I tend not to focus on money.

I think I finally came up with an answer for why I don’t talk about money. Recently colleague was being asked questions to join my presbytery (read region of church government). He was asked, “What is the one question you did not want to be asked?” Profound question. He replied with issues of money and being asked to look at his checkbook. He admitted that he is not as trustworthy in Christ as he would like according to his spending. Wow!!! Someone admitted this. The individual is a minister!! There is truth in the world. On Sunday, I figured out in the middle of my stewardship sermon why I don’t like talking about money.


I am not as faithful either. I must admit that my checking account statement would not demonstrate a faith in Christ as much as I wish. I have much to learn still in this world about trusting in Christ. I am willing to give Jesus control over major portions of my life, but I want the reigns in certain areas. I hope my thick skull will one day learn to follow. Till then, I will keep listening. Now I might just be able to preach about money more often. I need a few good sermons on it myself. If I am not preaching to myself, nobody else is listening. 

No comments: