Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sabbath

And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God. Ezekiel20:201

Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high. Isaiah58:4 2

God established the Sabbath, the day of rest, not simply to exact from people what is due to him. Nor did he establish it merely that people might rest. Therefore the prophet Ezekiel explains how God’s Sabbaths should be sanctified or kept holy.”3


Sabbath

This morning I poured myself into the church office and opened my Bible program and looked at he reading from a book I have been going through, “365 Days With Calvin” It is a devotional book based on the writings of John Calvin’s commentaries. Today’s reading struck me with the idea of Sabbath. I remember well being taught what the word means and the reason why it was given. God told the people of Israel that the earth was made in six days and God rested. The same will be for the people of God. They will labor six days and rest on the seventh. We hold to a similar principle in U.S.A. today. We just get confused about which is the seventh, so we take off two days a week. The Jewish/Christian mind at work. Respect for the Jews and the Christians. But most people do not get the old dedicated days off any more. The U.S.A. still recognizes a five day work week, but not always coming to a close on Friday.

American Church Frustration


This frustrates many people, episodically those of us in the church world who see numbers quickly falling off. We blame all the world about taking over our Sunday mornings. We remember the good old days when everything was closed and everyone went to church. At least some people in the church speak about these days. I do not remember these times. Since I can remember, everything has had hours on Sunday. The hours may not be as long as today, but lots of places were open. Then I ask myself, “Am I helping to stop the business from being open on Sunday?” I get gas. I go out for dinner. I get supplies from the store. My actions are not helping the condition. Let alone the fact that God calls people to a Sabbath, a day of rest.

Keeping the Main Thing the Main Thing


As I read the selection today from Calvin and the Bible, I realized that the Sabbath was not about rest and maintaining a rule. It is also not about a day of the week. It is about an intentional encounter with God. No matter what day each person has to take a break, a day of rest. We need to give that time to God and let God restore us. The true reason for the Sabbath was to identify the people from the rest of the world as the people of God. Not because of a break, but because they gave something important to God, time. We can accomplish the same today. We can demonstrate to the world we are followers of Christ by giving something important to God, our time.

I want us to remember that he Sabbaths was about giving time to God to celebrate and rejoice in the Holiness of God. How will you celebrate God? 

 
1 Calvin, J., & Beeke, J. R. (2008). 365 Days with Calvin (p. 149). Leominster; Grand Rapids, MI: Day One Publications; Reformation Heritage Books.
2 The New International Version. (2011). (Is 58:4). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
3 Calvin, J., & Beeke, J. R. (2008). 365 Days with Calvin (p. 149). Leominster; Grand Rapids, MI: Day One Publications; Reformation Heritage Books.

No comments: