Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Faith, Works and Charity

Third Wednesday of Lent
March 11, 2009
Today’s Reading: James 2: 14-17
14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. [1]

When I think of the great passages and most quoted sections of the Bible, this passage comes to mind. I could not relate the number of times I have read sermons and teaching on this little piece of the Bible. And yet I am still trying to find what it is that God wants to teach through this passage.

I fully agree with James, we must as followers of Jesus Christ make a display of what we believe. The old adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words” has a great deal of meaning. For I have (hopefully) preached some great sermons on what it is that Jesus has done for us in a spiritual and relational way with God. I have studied many books that explore the depths of God’s grace through Jesus. As a matter of fact, my entire life is now based on the great teaching that Jesus came to save us from sin. I have taught this in my ministry. But in all my words, the best ways I have taught this to others is in the way I act.

In this great agreement, I struggle with the example James uses to teach us this need to act out our faith. He tells of how people react when presented with no coat or food. We are expected to give and not just turn our back with a simple statement, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed” does little to help the person immediately. But what about the long term issue. How will the person stay warm and eat tomorrow or the next day. What about sustainability of the person.

In a recent edition of World Magazine, they looked at Wealth and Poverty in America’s Cities.[2] The cover story article focused on learning from the past. Mark Olasky pointed to many old societies in large cities that were Christian based and how they provided to the people of need. Olasky also pointed to sermons preached in 1835 that it was disgraceful to give when someone is able to work.[3] What does this mean in our current economic climate? There are many who can work but there are no jobs. There are many who have been in the entitlement system for so long they have not skills to work. How can we as followers of Jesus Christ follow the command to give where there is need but yet encourage the person to prepare for substantial service and work to make a living? I believe this is the major question for today. This is where our faith and understanding meets reality. My only hope can be that God will lead us in what is best for His people and His creation.

Tomorrow’s Reading James 2:18-21

[1] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. Jas 2:14-17
[2] Olasky, Marvin, “Giving that Worked.” World Magazine, March 14, 2009. pages 40-46
[3]
Olasky, 42

No comments: