Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Mission Possiable

Last week I had the privileged to travel with the Carthage Nazarene Congregation to the Dominican Republic. During this trip, we spent time building an addition on the church in Santiago and teaching children and adults about Jesus in Vacation Bible School settings.The privilege came in the fact of two directions. For one, I am not a member of their church. Matter of fact, I am not a member of their denomination. I am a Presbyterian minister. They allowed me to be included and a blessing to the Santiago community. They also were a blessing to me.

This is a picture from the night we took off from Carthage. We left the church by eleven o'clock at night to travel to St. Louis. It was a long night of travel and and longer day of air planes and transfers. It was fun.



This is what you look like on the last plane ride of a long journey.

I will admit that I could fill this whole page with pictures. People took pictures of work, children, worship, instruments, and much more. You can look at my Facebook page for more pictures.I had a blast.

I must admit that a long time ambition of mine was realized while on this trip. I was invited to preach at a church plant in the country one evening. I dreamed about an opportunity to travel to a foreign country and preach through a translator. The pastor gave me the opportunity and I took it. I will admit it was different and harder than I am use in America, I will take the opportunity all over again.
Me and Arodi Sanchez (Cross Cultural Pastor of Carthage Naz.)

I was blessed beyond measure by the love and grace shared by the people of the Dominican Republic. I was also blessed by the love and support from the Carthage Nazarene team. I am refreshed by the experience, but yet troubled.
Coming back, I miss the grace and passion I saw in the eyes of the church in the Dominican. They were small but did not see that as a problem. With courage and strength, they were determined to serve the people and tell others about Jesus. Now, I struggle to see where I fit in the world back home. I struggle with a reality that the congregation I serve is tired and lost hope and passion. They see closure as a better option than hope. I came back to the national meeting of my denomination not talking much about serving people in real ways and equipping the local church to be a witness to the Kingdom of God. I hear reports of political grand standing and wishful hopes that never seem to get translated to the front line of service. Lastly, I come back to me struggling to hear God. I struggle to understand where I am being calling to serve beyond the temporary position in Springfield. I am curious where God is calling me to be next. What new plans are in store for me. I will keep searching for answers. What I find most exciting is how much God can accomplish in a short time when we are open to listen.

No comments: