Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Making Church A Place to Be


I am reading a book titled, Essential Church. This book caught my attention not because of the title or even the sub title, reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts. No I decide to pick up the book based on the front cover alone. On the cover was a “Swiss Army style” pocket knife. You know the kind, the ones with all the little tools and instruments able to be pulled out of the slots. I chose this book cover because of one of my strange interests. I am a knife collector. I especially like the Swiss Army knives (I carry one most everywhere). My collection has grown so large that it covers a wall in my house. So, when I found a church ministry book covered with a knife, I immediately picked it up. I was certain it would have all the answers I needed. My assumption was made based on the fact that there are many times all I need to fix something is my Swiss Army Knife.

Well, just as I have learned over the years with my knives, all the answers are not in the book. I have not finished the text, but as of yet, the authors, Thom Rainer and Sam Rainer III, have not given me an answer to the issue of declining church membership. I am left with the same problem as when I started the book, how to turn around an aging church.

I have been given a great reminder while reading this book. People will attend and go to church when they see it as important and a essential to there lives. In the book the authors have interviewed many people who were very active in church and still are and people who were and are no longer active. They especially focused on the 20-35 age range. They pointed out that most people stayed in church because the individual found it essential, something they could not do with out. People who left the church saw it as something that could be replaced with other priorities.

This leads me to my memories. I remember with great fondness the time I spent in church as a youth. I could not get enough church activities in my life. I always wanted to spend time with the people in the church. I thought it was just being a nerd, but it might have been a part of what prepared me to become a minister. Being part of a great community lead me into ministry and into the person I am today (crazy and all).

I am asking God how I can make the congregation I serve the same type of place for the people here. How can this congregation and people become so important to one anther they do not want to miss an opportunity to be together? This is the center of what Thom and Sam write about. The church had become non-essential to people and we need to show people that the church is essential to life. For the message we carry is life.

No comments: